Oct 8, 2009

Tell-a-vision!


Television has a big role in my life. Well just thought of sharing some of my childhood memories attached with television. Having TV at home was a luxury then. There used be days when i used to go to bed without food, that was just because i used to be so satisfied after watching TV. My family still makes fun of me about this. God! i still wish to be like that so that i would have not put on so much...:( I and my brother used to love the 1984-85... Doordarshan Programs. Of course it was the only channel we used to have then. There were so many bugging programs as well.. (then being a child) but still we used to watch. Just watching anything and everything on TV itself was so much fun for us. We used to watch TV in our neighbors home, when we did not had our own set. Seeing this my Dad got fed up and got a TV set for us. I still remember the model its called ITI Monarchy which had shutter and also a lock. Unfortunately i could not find the model on net. So just got this one which is just close to that model. It was a black & white TV. It had an antenna on the roof.I was so over joyed and felt that i have everything in this world, and i loved my dad for that.

We used to rush to the TV centre, which had generator, which was just close to our home in a small town like Gadag, whenever there was power cut, just to make sure we do not miss the important part of our program. And we used to curse the Electricity Board for cutting the power at the important stage.

I must admit that Doordarshan really used to have very good programs THEN. I still live with those memories and remember the songs and names of the programs even now.

Some of the programs which i still remember goes like this

Cartoons: Spiderman, He-Man: Am the Master of the Universe, Some film division programs from Doordarshan-- Ek aur anek, etc

Some puppet show.. i do not remember the name though, it used to come on Saturday afternoons.

Stories like: Fairly tale theater, Vikram aur betal, Alice in Wonderland etc...

Serials: Ek Do Teen Chaar: A children detective serial, Show Theme, Buniyad, Hum Log, Kari Khari, Yeh Jo Hain Zindagi, Rajini, Karamchand, Chitrahaar, Chitramaala, Indradhanush: I remember that this had shown us computers then, a robot and time machine stuff, Kile ka rahasya, You and Your Pets- which used come during the movie intervals for 30 mins on Sundays ( I remember we used to so desparately wait for that to finish, just to keep track of the movie climax...hehehe ) and many more... :)

English Serials: UFO, Stratrek, Danger Bay, Secrets of the Sea, Street Hawk,, huh.. i love all of them.

The Ads: Oh Gosh! i still remember the ads... Surf, Nirma, Rasna.. ( I love you Rasna)wow.. TATA namak.. namak ho tata ka tata namak...just used to love them like anything.

I remember I used to sing the full song of "Mile Sur Mera Tumahar" which had most of the Indian languages in it... My relatives when ever gathered together used to make me sing that song and were amazed by my memory and wordings of different languages i used to sing in.. exactly the same way.. i love it!

I really miss those programmes now. I strongly beleive that our childhood memories really have a very strong impact on our life....

Huh! now is the time 2009, I do not have a TV set at home.. and am not repenting for that. As i do not think there are any such interesting programs coming, which i feel i miss out.... and now is the time that i Hate to watch it or do not have time or patience to watch it.. somehow i don't think that its a must for me. Well, it was just other way round many years back!

I feel am fortunate enough that i had a very fun filled childhood. All thanks to my lovely parents for making it so happy.. :) Who never pressurised us for anything.


No comments: